The death of a young carpenter on a building site in Victoria Point back in 2013 could have been prevented if different circuit breakers were in place, a coroner has found.
The worker was electrocuted while working on a renovation project as a carpenter for a friend’s roofing company. The 25 year old man died from electric shock which occurred when he touched a metal scaffolding pole with his legs on guttering at the same time.
The coroner found that if residual current devices (RCD) had been installed on the circuit, it would have operated to switch off the circuit when the carpenter completed the circuit, if not before. This would have saved the man’s life.
An RCD is able to detect leakage of current to earth (including through a human body), cutting the current supply in milliseconds, drastically reducing the risk of death or serious injury.
Concerns were also raised about electrical safety procedures designed to ensure all cables and fittings have been isolated before demolition begins.
In this particular incident the damaged light fitting blamed for the fatality was not believed to have been isolated by an electrician, because the area of demolition was altered after the safety inspection was completed. Source: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/tradie-killed-on-the-job-in-front-of-friend-could-have-been-saved-qld-coroner-20180426-p4zbxa.html
Please share this post on social media with the icons below or to the left.