An accident at a Sydney south-west site has claimed the life of a 24 year old man.
The man died as a result of electrocution at a factory in Moorebank.
Emergency services was called to the site after receiving reports of a man who was electrocuted. He was working alongside 4 others when the fatal incident occurred.
The 4 men were rescued from the roof while the 24 year old man remained trapped and was not able to be freed until the power was turned off. He was eventually reached but paramedics were not able to revive the man and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Another worker was taken to Liverpool Hospital for treatment of leg burns.
The 3 other men were treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics on the scene.
Dodgy building certifiers are at the source of the NSW Government’s latest construction crackdown, who announced it would target corrupt building certifiers after the Sydney Opal Tower incident. Recently the Opal Tower was evacuated after a crack was discovered in a precast concrete panel inside the building. Fears that the building was unsafe caused an evacuation.
The government has been under increasing pressure to ensure the safety of buildings in Sydney, particularly in light of the number of buildings that have sprung up in recent years.
Certifiers that are corrupt will be thrown out of the industry if they are discovered. Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean said the government was looking into buildings that were recently constructed or those currently being built. He promised the government would throw the book at any offenders caught.
If you’re involved in construction work or if you’re an electrician, first aid training or CPR is required.
Not only do these skills help make you more attractive to prospective employers, making your resume stand out from the rest, it’s also invaluable in a high risk work environment such as construction.
In a high risk work environment such as construction, there are many instances where injuries and fatalities can happen. This makes the ability to act crucial and provide injured co-workers with prompt first aid treatment vital.
Electricians are also exposed to a high risk work environment where the risks include electric shock, fires, explosions, falls etc. CPR training can mean the difference between life and death in this environment.
A worker has been injured after falling from a retaining wall on New South Wales central coast.
The 56 year old man was apparently doing some gardening at his own home in Avoca Beach when he fell 3 metres off the wall. He had to be airlifted to hospital after sustaining back, chest and head injuries.
The man was stabilised at the scene before being flown to Royal North Shore Hospital by CareFlight’s rapid response helicopter. As this incident highlights, even falls from relatively low heights can result in serious injuries and the risks shouldn’t be ignored.
Employers in Queensland have been encouraged to make employee health more of a priority as figures show 4 in 10 adults aren’t active enough.
The Cancer Council Queensland says sedentary behaviour has come out as an important risk factor for poor health and the risk is highest for workers whose work involves sitting at least some of their time.
It’s important that employers incorporate healthy lifestyle environments into workplaces to promote wellness, the Cancer Council Queensland said.
SafeWork NSW has warned about the dangers of confined spaces because they aren’t usually designed as places for people to work, so they have poor ventilation and promote hazardous atmospheres, particularly in smaller spaces.
A lack of oxygen, an explosion as well as airborne contaminants are all risks that can prove fatal in a confined space.Examples of confined spaces include trenches, tunnels, tanks and vats, pits, pipes, chimneys, silos, sewers, shafts, wells and pressure vessels, so it’s quite common for construction workers to have to work in confined spaces and for these spaces to become deadly if the proper precautions aren’t taken.
Watch here to see how quickly a confined space can become dangerous in this video from WorkSafe Canada.